Re: [O] Insert heading above current one

From: Luciano Passuello
Subject: Re: [O] Insert heading above current one
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 19:58:44 -0300

Hi, thanks for the replies!

>> To add, I also think that the earlier behavior made sense, if the point is
>> at bolp, insert before, else insert after.
>
> I think the current behaviour makes more sense, if the command is called
> with an universal argument. Indeed, what would be the point of using an
> universal argument if you get the exact same behaviour as without it?

I also think the earlier behavior made more sense. The variable
org-insert-heading-respect-content (or the universal argument)
controls how a new headline is inserted BELOW the current header
(either add immediately after the current line or down below). I don't
see how this variable should alter the behavior of adding a heading
ABOVE the current header (ie. "respecting content" or not has no
effect here, above is always above).

> Out of curiosity is there any to set this variable to something else
> than nil? There are already comfortable keybindings to set this
> temporarily (C-RET and C-u M-RET). Why would one have M-RET to behave
> exactly as C-RET? And even if there was a good reason to do so, why not
> simply re-binding M-RET in that case?

You have a good point. Looking this way, the
org-insert-heading-respect-content variable is indeed of little use.
But since the variable does exist (even though perhaps it should be
deprecated?), it should behave correctly.
And I just don't see how the behavior of adding a header above the
current line should be impacted by it.

Thanks!
Luciano.