Re: [O] Trying to get chart from table working

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Trying to get chart from table working
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 14:25:28 +0100

On Friday, 29 Sep 2017 at 17:32, Peter Davis wrote:
> I'm sorry to belabor this, but I could use some help. I'd be willing to
> pay a modest consulting fee, but I'm trying to solve a problem in a
> timely way, as it would help me with healthcare decisions.
>
> Basically, I want to plot a time series graph showing my PSA (prostate
> specific antigen) over time. The PSA is measured at irregular intervals,
> and has been for over 4 years (and hopefully will continue for many more
> years.) That should be a simple enough graph. I've already got a
> javascript d3 example that does this, but I'd like to embed it in a
> document, and to be able to generate PDF.

This part is relatively straightforward.  Using your data example, you
can do the following:

* table
#+name: measurements
|       Date | PSA |         |
|------------+-----+---------|
| 2017-08-11 | 185 |         |
| 2017-08-21 |     | #ffdd99 |
| 2017-09-19 | 854 | #ffdd99 |

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=measurements :file timeseries.pdf :results file
  set xdata time
  set timefmt "%Y-%m-%d"
  set xrange ["2017-08-01":"2017-10-01"]
  unset key
  plot data using 1:2 with histeps
#+end_src

#+results:
[[file:timeseries.pdf]]
The colouring bit is harder and I don't know whether it's possible or
not.  I suggest you look at examples on the web, e.g.

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/

to see if anything fits what you are trying to do.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.1-78-gfbf47c