[O] Agenda filtering (take 2)

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: [O] Agenda filtering (take 2)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 13:58:24 -0700

Hi everyone,

About a year ago, I wrote:

Is there a simple way for me to say to the agenda, "Show me all (and only) the NEXT tasks that are part of a project whose deadline is before (say) 2016-11-01"? It seems like this should be possible with the built-in agenda but I can't quite figure it out. The tricky thing is filtering by the deadline of the parent project, which might be several levels up.

I'm still stuck on this, so I'd like to ask this question again. Bastien responded:
I would add a category to each project, then use something along this: ("N" "My important tasks" tags-todo "CATEGORY={cat1\\|cat2}+TODO={NEXT}+DEADLINE<=\"<+3d>\"")

But that doesn't seem to work for me. The problem is that the tasks I want to list in the tags-todo search don't themselves have deadlines; only their parent projects do.

I have a file with projects that look like this:

** TODO Foo University DEADLINE: <2017-11-01>
*** NEXT Determine application requirements for Foo U.
*** TODO Submit application

I'd like to see a list of just NEXT tasks in this file, sorted by the deadline of their parent projects.

I thought that property inheritance would be the way to do this. So I tried: ("jn" "Job application NEXT tasks" tags-todo "+jobmarket+application+TODO={NEXT}" ((org-use-property-inheritance t)) (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(deadline-up))))
as well as

("jn" "Job application NEXT tasks" tags-todo "+jobmarket+application+TODO={NEXT}" ((org-use-property-inheritance '("DEADLINE")) (org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(deadline-up)))) in org-agenda-custom-commands. But neither seems to work. Can anyone provide any insights here? Is it possible for sub-tasks within a project to inherit their deadline?
Many thanks as always!

Best,
Richard