Re: [O] Help with org related crash on OpenBSD

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Help with org related crash on OpenBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 20:32:17 -0400

Adrian Bradd <address@hidden> writes:

> ​Instrumenting 'org-capture' with edebug might be of some assistance. This
> should at least allow you to step through org-capture and see where emacs is
> hanging.
>
> HTH
>
> On 13 October 2017 at 12:51, Aaron Bieber <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Hola,
>
>     I am trying to track down an issue where emacs hangs on OpenBSD when
>     using org-capture. I happens with org 9.1.2 and 8.2.10 in emacs
>     25.3.1.
>
>     It seems that 3 out of 4 times, emacs completely hangs when adding a
>     Todo. I have tried setting (toggle-debug-on-quit) and
>     (toggle-debug-on-error), but once the hang happens emacs becomes
>     completely unresponsive. The one time that it doesn't hang, it takes
>     around 3 or 4 seconds to actually open up the gtd.org file.

In addition to the edebug suggestion, you might try these two (three?) as well:

If it's emacs that's hanging, then `strace -p <pid>' might give a hint,
although it's probably better to run emacs under gdb as described in

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Checklist.html#Checklist

That can get hairy though.

If it's org-capture that's hanging, then setting debug-on-quit to t and
pressing C-g when
you get a hang might give you a backtrace.

--
Nick