[O] OT: TUI applications

From: Russell Adams
Subject: [O] OT: TUI applications
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 15:23:38 +0200

Given the unique user base of Org, I wanted to ask a question.

Has anyone seen any modern development libraries for TUI (console / character
cell) applications? Ncurses the library is
not an answer as you have to start from scratch. There are thousands of web
frameworks, and yet console is infinitely
simpler than a LAMP stack, but there are no prepackaged libraries for working
with it (ie: forms, widgets, etc).

I frequently find myself in the position to need a small custom database
application for this or that (contacts,
invoicing, recipes!). Python (or similar) + SQLite seems like a no brainer,
except I don't want webapps or a giant GUI
program like libreoffice Base. I'd use something that was text forms based like
an old dBase product.

I've looked at Emacs forms, but they appear to be only for editing CSV data.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden