Re: [O] Multi-layer ergonomic keyboard and org-mode

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] Multi-layer ergonomic keyboard and org-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 20:27:10 +0200

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 01:33:20PM +0200, Roland Everaert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering buying this quite expensive ergonomic keyboard.
>
> https://ergodox-ez.com/
>
> This device can manage up to 32 layers and I wonder how a regular emacs and
> org-mode user would organize the layers.
>
> This organization depends on your workflow, but their is surely some standard
> key arrangement to improve our typing with our favorite editor an module.

Let me share my experience with you regarding Ergodox. It's incredibly cool! To
be able to create your own programmable
keyboard is awesome. I built one with a custom case and mechanical switches,
and it's great. Custom key layouts in the
firmware are awesome!

Until I discovered my hands don't fit it. I don't regret building it, but I
can't use my lovely device I spent quite a
bit to make. Learn from my experience and test one hands on first.

On that note, I've been using a Kinesis Freestyle with a long binding cable for
many years, and they just released a
mechanical switch version (Freestyle Edge? It's gaming branded) that also
includes updates like layers. It's perfect and
exactly what I wanted.

Perhaps you should consider one of them. I'm very impressed with it.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden