Re: [O] ob-python newline & indentation behavior

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: [O] ob-python newline & indentation behavior
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:31:02 +0000

Hi Kyle,

I can't think of a good solution, though.  Stepping back a bit, I think
it's unfortunate that python blocks handle ":results value" differently
depending on whether the block is hooked up to a session or not.  For
non-sessions, you have to use return.  Using the same approach
(org-babel-python-wrapper-method) for ":session :results value", we
could then get the return value reliably, but the problem with this
approach is that any variables defined in a ":results value" block
wouldn't be defined in the session after executing the block because the
code is wrapped in a function.

How about if we used the "globals()" and "locals()" functions in Python?

Something like this at the end of the wrapper block, before return:

for k, v in locals().items():
    globals()[k] = v

I think this would work a lot better than the current approach.

Another bug with the current approach is that it breaks if common idioms like "for _ in range(10)" are used. ("_" is used to inspect the last output of the shell, an obscure feature I hadn't known about until now).

Thanks for reviewing my suggested changes. Might be a few days until I can submit a new patch but I will incorporate your other suggestions. Waiting for the FSF forms anyways.

Jack