Re: [O] BeOrg

From: Ilya Shlyakhter
Subject: Re: [O] BeOrg
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 21:43:22 -0500

"as a GNU package, we're not allowed to mention proprietary software"
-- how is that consistent with GNU prominently distributing Emacs for
Windows from its own website?  I think this shows that the guideline
is not absolute.  And it's specifically phrased as a guideline
("should"), not as a requirement.

To _mention_ is not the same as to _endorse_.  One can mention a
non-free program, along with a link to GNU's reasoning against such
programs, and let users decide.  Deciding for them is paternalistic.
It also looks like simple protectionism: rather than writing a free
program superior to the non-free one, mentioning both and letting
users decide, we'll just hide the non-free one.

I don't see why not to write beOrg at all is perfectly ethical, but to
write it without making it free is unethical.  What freedoms does a
non-existing program give users?