Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 10:06:17 -1000

Aloha all,

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

Note that I made a few design choices I didn't write about, e.g.,:

  - use fixed-width area for one-line examples,
- use example blocks for Org syntax instead of "begin_src org",
  - internal links to headlines always start with a star,
- tags, node properties, are not shown with the surrounding columns,
  - when to use =...= or ~...~ markup:
    - files or extensions use =...=,
- anything that is meant to be written in the Org buffer uses =...=,
    - any meaningful token in a programming language uses ~...~.

I'd like to follow up on an earlier suggestion to put together a style guide for manual.org based on Phil Rooke's Documentation_Standards.org. The idea was to "translate" Phil's document to follow the change from .texi source to .org source.

I think it will prove useful to have design choices described together in one place.

I've copied Phil in case he objects to having his "Notes to myself ..." document used in this way.

Any comments welcome.

All the best,
Tom

--