[O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 00:21:37 +0100

Hello,

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if we could remove Org's own
implementation of the mark ring, for some reasons :

- Emacs already provides two of them: the local one and the global one.
  This feels like re-inventing the wheel;

- Org mark ring and Emacs mark ring are sometimes out of sync, hence bug
  #23745;

- `org-mark-ring-goto' binding (C-c &) conflicts with some minor modes
  (e.g., Yasnippet).

So, could we simply remove this part of Org and use Emacs facilities,
with their standard bindings (C-u C-<SPC> and C-x C-<SPC>) and behaviour
instead?

For hard-core Org users, it might be possible to create a function that
cycles among Org buffers only in the Emacs' mark ring. I don't think
this is necessary, tho.

Thoughts?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738