Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:24:46 -0700

in my usage, the current distinction between org-mark-ring and
mark-ring does not disturb me at all.  i agree that it would be good
to be able to use global-mark-ring as a substitute for both
global-mark-ring and org-mark-ring, but ONLY if it takes me to the
exact location just like org-mark-ring does.

i use mark-ring extensively.  this is when i mark manually, or in
cases like isearch or bob.  it is intuitive and i never have to think
about the distinction from org-mark-ring.  i agree that some users
would expect the mark to be set also.  which i think is a good idea,
for both global and local mark rings.  but ONLY if the global one goes
to the exact spot.

i do not use global-mark-ring.  this is because [1] nonergo binding
[fixable] [2] i haven't made prev and next for it [fixable] [3] it
makes ZERO sense to me why it behaves so strangely.

i expect global-mark-ring to take me to the exact spot.  period.  when
it doesn't, i get so confused that i just stop using it.  i don't
understand why anybody finds it intuitive.  do a lot of people use it?
 unlike the local mark ring, i have never seen actual use of it
mentioned in the community.  perhaps its users have tiny files.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.