Re: [O] when/how are org-mode settings loaded

From: Julius Dittmar
Subject: Re: [O] when/how are org-mode settings loaded
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:08:34 +0100

Hi Jack,

thanks for the answer.

Am 08.02.2018 um 13:44 schrieb Jack Henahan:
> Could you post your config?

I shy back from that because the config -- a strongly modified version
of the configuration pubished at http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html --
is quite lengthy.

> I expect the issue is that you don’t (require 'org) or set up the
> auto-mode-alist in your init file. This would also be the case if, for
> instance, you defer loading the package with use-package, as well. Invoking
> the agenda will load org, so the next org file you open will do what you
> expect.

The config starts with

(require 'org)

immediately after adjusting some paths so the git-version of org is
found. Some lines below there's

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\|org_archive\\|txt\\)$" .
org-mode))

> Do org files open in Fundamental mode when you don’t invoke the agenda first?

How would I find out?

Emacs adds the org-specific menu entries upon opening that file, and
shows org as major mode in the status line. At least some of the org
shortcuts (like adding a timestamp, or the basic outlining key-codes)
are active. I just sorely miss the highlighting :-(

Thanks for any hints,

Julius