Re: [O] Bug: org-paste-subtree displaces folded content [9.1.6 (9.1.6-48

From: Allen Li
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-paste-subtree displaces folded content [9.1.6 (9.1.6-48-gfe7619-elpaplus @ /home/ionasal/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180212/)]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 03:18:22 +0000

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 1:02 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hello,

> Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:

> > With the org file:
> >
> > * foo
> > some content
> > * bar
> > some content 1
> > some content 2
> >
> > 1. C-s foo RET
> > 2. C-c C-x C-w
> > 3. C-r some RET
> > 4. C-c C-x C-y
> >
> > Final content is
> >
> > * bar
> > some content 1
> > * foo
> > some content
> > some content 2

> I can reproduce it.

> > The behavior is insidious when the contents are folded:
> >
> > * foo...
> > * bar...
> >
> > turns into
> >
> > * bar...
> > * foo...

> IIUC, you cannot reproduce the example above when contents are folded,
> since you do not have access to the headline contents.

> > This can displace property and logbook drawers, timestamps, etc with
very
> > little visual indication.
> >
> > Is this behavior even desirable?  To me, killing and yanking subtrees
> > should keep the content with the headings and not "splice" subtrees into
> > the middle of another heading's content

> But you did yank the contents of the subtree into the middle of another
> heading's content. So, what should do Org? Decide that you don't know
> what you are doing and paste it at the end of the current section? What
> if you really want to split the current section?

I modified the example a bit and made the undesired behavior unclear.

* foo
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: a
:END:
* bar
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: b
:END:

Folded, this looks like

* foo...
* bar...

With point on the f in foo, press C-c C-x C-w.  With point on the b in bar,
press C-c C-x C-y.  Results in

* bar
* foo...

Unfolded, this looks like

* bar
* foo
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: a
:END:
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: b
:END:

I would expect C-c C-x C-y to work like C-RET rather than M-RET, that is to
always append after the heading and body rather than splitting it.