Re: [O] question on org-element-interpret-data and when it works

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] question on org-element-interpret-data and when it works
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:10:13 +0100

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to find some ways to programatically modify org-elements that
> use fewer regexps and motion commands. It seems like org-dp (
> https://github.com/tj64/org-dp) was intended to do that but it is not clear
> enough how you might use it, and it also doesn't seem to support
> plain-lists yet.

[...]

> It works on some things, e.g. headlines, src blocks. I put the point on one
> of those things, run this command, and then I can paste it somewhere to see
> that it did indeed work.
>
> But, it does not work on plain-lists, or paragraphs. I either get an empty
> string, or Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil
>
> Is it possible to do what I am describing? Am I just missing how to get the
> element data in the right form?

You cannot change a non-terminal element without changing its contents.
In particular plain-lists, tables and paragraphs are fully defined by
their contents, i.e., they do not decorate contents like headlines. In
this case, data returned by `org-element-context' is incomplete in this
case. You probably need to parse the buffer between :begin and :end and
modify structure recursively.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou