[O] Hooking document specific src blocks into default actions

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: [O] Hooking document specific src blocks into default actions
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:28:16 +0000

Hi,

I've been using these for a while but I recently wanted to add a
function at the head of the ctrl-c-ctrl-c processing:

  (defvar my-org-default-action nil
    "Default action for this document to run on `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c'.
  \\<org-mode-map>
  This will run via `org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook' and should return a
  non-nil result if it processed something. As such it can override
  default `org-mode' behaviour for \\[org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c]. If you
  want something to run at the end then you need to use
  `my-org-default-code-block'")
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'my-org-default-action)

  (defun my-org--do-action (func-or-string)
    "Evaluate a code block or call a function `FUNC-OR-STRING' from org-file."
    (let ((current-point (point)))
      (cond
       ((stringp func-or-string)
        (save-excursion
          (org-babel-goto-named-src-block func-or-string)
          (org-babel-when-in-src-block
           (org-babel-eval-wipe-error-buffer)
           (org-babel-execute-src-block current-prefix-arg nil
                                        '((:called-from . current-point))))))
        ((functionp func-or-string)
         (funcall func-or-string))
        (t (error "What to do with: %s" func-or-string)))))

  (defun my-org-run-default-action ()
    "Execute default action for this org file."
    (interactive)
    (when my-org-default-action
      (my-org--do-action my-org-default-action)))

  (add-to-list 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook
               'my-org-run-default-action)

However I've run into a small problem that when I execute the source
block I end up with 't every time as we successfully executed the block
even if it didn't end up doing anything at the time.

Is there a better way to invoke source blocks from the current
org-document than this? One where the eventual result can be returned
into the calling lisp so org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook can move on if we didn't
do anything?

--
Alex Bennée