[O] Bug: org-gnus-store-link wrong if used from article buffer when poin

From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
Subject: [O] Bug: org-gnus-store-link wrong if used from article buffer when point moved in summary [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 13:13:48 +0100

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org-mode mailing list.

Hi,

If you open an article in Gnus, then move the point away from the
summary line of that article in the Summary buffer, then go back to the
Article buffer and M-x org-store-link, it will link to the article
you're pointing at in the Summary, not the article in the Article
buffer.

The issue is at line 145 in
https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/raw/master/lisp/org-gnus.el
which does

            (header (with-current-buffer gnus-summary-buffer
                      (gnus-summary-article-header)))

(I'm running 8.2.10 normally, but I've tried the most recent org-gnus.el
and it's the same, and the code makes it clear why.)

In my own code I use the following workaround:

      (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-article-mode)
          (save-window-excursion (gnus-article-show-summary)
                                 (org-store-link nil))
        (org-store-link nil))

although someone with knowledge of gnus internals might be able to avoid
the call to (gnus-configure-windows 'article) that changes the window
configuration. (Or maybe org-mode should simply use the above workaround
since that assumes less about gnus internals, which might change more
than its public API.)

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.3.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-12
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
/usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/)