Re: [O] question on org-element-interpret-data and when it works

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] question on org-element-interpret-data and when it works
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 15:47:00 +0100

> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> You used the word 'discrepancy',
>
> True. I inferred it from
>
>   (funny enough, some org elements have 'value' as their content, others
>   'content').
>
> which, IMO, sounds like it is a surprising fact.
>
>> I simply needed to know for each org
>> element what is interpreted and what not. And some have a content,
>> others a :value.
>
> As in every AST, some nodes are terminal (no contents), and some are not
> (contents).
>
> This distinction is made in `org-element-greater-elements', i.e.,
> non-terminal elements. See also `org-element-recursive-objects' for
> non-terminal objects.
>
>> So if I pass 'Hello World' as content to an example
>> block, nothing happens, if I pass it via :value, it appears as the
>> blocks ... well, content.
>
> Contents imply Org syntax. This would defeat the purpose of an example
> block.

Ok, so its just a matter of wording.

On the computer science side of things, content seems to be org elements
or objects contained in other org elements (like table rows in a table),
and on the laymans side of things the text inside of an example block
looks very much like the blocks content too (while its technically named
'value' in this case).

--
cheers,
Thorsten