Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Moving "manual.org" into core
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 11:54:07 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

>> Is the current contrib/orgmanual.org in sync with doc/org.texi in both
>> master and maint?
>
> Not at all. It is in sync (and a bit above) in master only.

Okay.

>> How difficult is it to keep it in sync in both branches?
>
> "manual.org" relies on improvements made to the Texinfo exporter in
> master branch only, and probably to some smaller parts of the export
> framework. I wouldn't try to sync the manual in maint branch.

So when we make the move, we publish 9.2 by merging master in maint
and edit orgmanual.org from both maint and master.  Correct?

> I find it much easier to handle and edit than its Texinfo counterpart,
> even though I have a good command of the Texinfo syntax. This allowed me
> to do a large number of improvements to it (structure, index,
> typography, overall consistency...), still not integrated in our
> official manual.

For the record: I have no doubt on this and this is also one of the
reasons I'm willing to make the switch.

> I would be surprised, to say the least, if anyone browsing in parallel
> "org.texi" and "manual.org" told me in good faith the former is clearer.

I find orgmanual.org to be clearer.  And I think we can make even more
aesthetics progress on this.

> That being said, we can hold as many number of weeks as you see fit.

It is not about setting a time window: we just need to be careful with
this move and discuss it.  One week seems fine.

I know I have been missing in action very often, and asking for more
time may not sound reassuring... but I'll push this forward, no worry.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien