Re: [O] org alters output of bash code blocks when run with :session

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: [O] org alters output of bash code blocks when run with :session
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:24:50 -0400

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018, at 6:27 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Tyler Smith <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > How do I force the babel session to leave the output alone, and print
> > it verbatim into the org file?
>
> It may be related to other problems related to prompt in shell sessions.
> See for example
> <http://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2018-02/msg00081.html>,
> <http://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2018-01/msg00415.html>, and for
> step forward a solution
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-04/msg00147.html>.
>
> Patches welcome!

It looks like ob-shell sets up sessions just by calling `shell`, which means
all the user's customizations for shell-mode are automatically applied. This
includes setting the prompt (e.g., from .emacs.d/init_bash.sh), as well as the
value of `comint-prompt-regexp`.

I can't see any straightforward way to modify ob-shell sessions without also
changing regular shell-mode. So I wonder if the easiest way to address this
would be to create a new mode derived from shell-mode, ('ob-shell-mode')? That
would give us a way to modify the prompt code inside babel without interfering
with shell-mode.

If that sounds sensible I can put together a patch for ob-shell.el. Let me know
what you think.

Best,

Tyler