[O] org-mode R using xtable produces strange output

From: Brian Shine
Subject: [O] org-mode R using xtable produces strange output
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 23:44:21 +0000

I am using xtable to produce summary tables of linear models, specifying the
output as latex.  If I just run the code in R, I get the correct output.
However, the latex output in the org document contains a lot of “|”s.  I think
this is because the header of the table contains some code to make “p > |t|”,
where the vertical lines are to indicate “absolute value of t”.  My guess is
that when the output is written to the results section, org interprets the “|”
signs as an org-table and tries to be helpful by adding more of them to make up
the correct number of columns. If I switch off the latex output, and write the
xtable to a small .tex file, using xtable.print and then include the file after
the code block, the table appears correctly.
I’m using emacs 25.2.

Here’s an example:

Best wishes,
Brian