Re: [O] Orgalist notes

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Orgalist notes
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 23:45:38 -0700

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thursday,  3 May 2018 at 16:21, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I'm very pleased that orgalist has become its own package! However I'm
>>     seeing a few of the same bugs that made the previous orgstruct-mode
>>     frustrating, though I'm hoping they will be easier to fix now.
>>
>>     There's one right there! Spurious indentation of everything after
>>     the first line.
>>
>> Now I'm explicitly deleting indentation, and starting again at the left
>>     margin. Another bug seems to appear when making lists: automatic
>>     filling starts a new list item, rather than continuing the paragraph
>>     of the first item.
>>
>> - Here's an item, now I'll hit M-RET
>> - Very nice
>> - Now here's an item that is so long that eventually the auto-fill kicks
>> - in and the line wraps. This line is now a new line item, rather than a
>> - continuation of the previous list item. So is this line.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Interesting.  I see the following:
>
> - here is an item
> - and a second from M-RET
> - and the third one which is long but will hopefully be auto-filled when
>   I type enough.  And, lo and behold, it seems to work just fine.

Huh! I tried the exact same typing as you've done above, and the third
     item wraps into a fourth item. I expect it will be some interaction
     with other minor modes. I've got:

Abbrev Ace-Pinyin Ace-Pinyin-Global Async-Bytecomp-Package
Auto-Composition Auto-Compression Auto-Encryption Auto-Fill
Cl-Old-Struct-Compat Company Company-Flx Diff-Auto-Refine Dired-Async
Display-Time Electric-Indent File-Name-Shadow Flyspell Font-Lock
Global-Company Global-Eldoc Global-Font-Lock Global-Git-Commit
Global-Visible-Mark Gnus-Message-Citation Helm Helm-Adaptive Line-Number
Magit-Auto-Revert Menu-Bar Mml Mouse-Wheel Orgalist Projectile
Pyim-Isearch Pyvenv Recentf Savehist Shell-Dirtrack Show-Paren Tooltip
Url-Handler Visible-Mark

It's bedtime now, but I will start again with "emacs -Q" in the morning.

> I find that orgalist works much better than orgstruct-mode ever
> did.  The experience you are having is what I used to get with
> orgstruct-mode which meant I usually did not enable it.  orgalist is
> enabled all the time and I have yet to see any strange behaviour [1].
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> the other eric

Good thing there's only two of us.

> Footnotes:
> [1]  well, other than me sitting looking blankly at the screen while
>      waiting for an email to be sent because I typed C-c C-c and forgot
>      that I was sitting in a list when I did so...  orgalist takes over
>      that binding when in a list and I keep forgetting!

       Yes! I tried to send an email not two minutes ago, and had the
       same experience. My guess is that a significant chunk of orgalist
       users are using it in message-mode, where this could create
       significant confusion, particularly since the orgalist command
       doesn't warn you that it tried (and failed) to do anything.