Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system

From: Karthik Chikmagalur
Subject: Re: [Pre-PATCH] Overhaul of the LaTeX preview system
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:11:52 -0700

> I've got problem when I use this version of org-latex preview:
>
> RUNNING: dvisvgm --page=1- --optimize --clipjoin --relative --no-fonts
> --bbox=preview -o c\:/Users/artsi0m/AppData/Local/Temp/org-tex-DAJVTr-%9p.svg
> c\:/Users/artsi0m/AppData/Local/Temp/org-tex-DAJVTr.dvi
>
> ERROR: can't open file
> 'c\:/Users/artsi0m/AppData/Local/Temp/org-tex-DAJVTr.dvi' for reading
>
> As you can get from the traceback it is problem with windows. But I
> remember solving simillar problem with org-fc already[1][2]. I just removed
> escaping (quoting) from one of the elisp functions.

Thank you for testing the new LaTeX preview system, we haven't had any
reports yet from Windows.

As a temporary measure, could you try replacing calls to
shell-quote-argument with identity in the following two functions?

org-latex-preview--tex-compile-async
org-latex-preview--image-extract-async

I'd be interested to know if it works as expected otherwise.

> So, the main problem of the problem is that on Windows
> (shell-quote-argument) function will quote c:/ as c\:/ which breaks
> ability to find one or another file. It maybe other function with this
> quoting, but I suppose that it is it.

shell-quote-argument is used all over Emacs, so I'm quite surprised it
mangles file paths on Windows.

Karthik