Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: cannot save all my planner files

From: fouvry+emacs-wiki
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: cannot save all my planner files
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:26:35 +0200 (CEST)

,-- On Fri, 16 Apr, Sacha Chua wrote:

[...]

| If you could trim this down to two troublesome tasks and send them to
| me, that would greatly help me get to the bottom of this bug.
|
| Sorry for the inconvenience. <sheepish grin> I haven't run into that
| bug in a long time despite the planner-ids I have around.

After a first stab, it seems it is due to an encoding issue
(multibyte v unibyte I guess).  I'm using umlauts and accented
characters and for some reason the encoding on the two pages is
different in planner-update-task(), the test
(planner-tasks-equal-p task-info (planner-current-task-info))
fails (even though they look the (most of the time) same on
screen - most of the time, since I sometimes see the troublesome
\201).  Another effect of this bug is that tasks containing
special characters are not properly carried over (they're
sometimes duplicated, with a different encoding).

Another remark: the documentation for planner-tasks-equal-p()
says that "Return t if TASK-A and TASK-B differ only in terms of
priority and page."  Judging from the implementation that is not
quite true: it returns t if TASK-A and TASK-B have the same value
for category, status, description, link, link-text, plan and
date.  They _can_ have different values for priority and page
(but that is not necessary).

And something else: planner-id-update-tasks-on-page() mentions
`write-file-functions', which is a non-existing variable.
Perhaps write-file-hooks is meant?

Cheers,

Frederik