[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some suggestions to planner

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some suggestions to planner
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:57:47 +0800

Hello, Dryice!

> I like the planner package and now use it everyday. Thanks for your
> great work!  Here are some suggestions:

I'm glad to hear that. =D I love getting suggestions and helping
people tailor PlannerMode to fit their way of working.

> 1. planner-move-unfinished-tasks-to-tomorrow
> As some book suggested, it's good to plan for tomorrow tonight. So I
> made some dirty hack to plan() to move the unfinished tasks to
> tomorrow (attached below). I'm not a lisp programmer so may be you
> could tune it and migrate it?

Hmmm. I actually just highlight the entire region and use M-x
planner-copy-or-move-region RET +1 RET to copy things to tomorrow. It
leaves completed tasks behind. =)

> 2. etask support?  I just heard etask recently. It's an Emacs
> extension to manage projects. Here:
> http://www.reneweichselbaum.com/etask.html

I ran across etask on http://www.emacswiki.org and I really liked it.
What kind of etask support would you find useful? =)

> (defun planner-move-unfinished-tasks-to-tomorrow (&optional force-days)
>   "Like plan, but move tasks to tomorrow.

Here's another way to do this:

(defun planner-move-unfinished-tasks-to-tomorrow (&optional force-days)
 "Schedule all unfinished tasks for tomorrow.

If FORCE-DAYS is nil, use the value of
`planner-carry-tasks-forward' instead (except t means scan most
recent day.)

If FORCE-DAYS is a positive integer, scan that number of days.
If FORCE-DAYS is 0 or t, scan all days."
 (interactive)
 (plan force-days)
 (planner-copy-or-move-region
  (point-min)
  (point-max)
  (planner-expand-name "+1")))

If you're sure that the tasks will always be on the present page, this
version is simpler:

(defun planner-move-unfinished-tasks-to-tomorrow ()
  "Move unfinished tasks from today to tomorrow."
  (planner-goto-today)
  (save-excursion
   (save-restriction
    (widen)
    (planner-copy-or-move-region
     (point-min)
     (point-max)
     (planner-expand-name "+1")))))

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun