Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Making planner simpler

From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Making planner simpler
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:23:24 +0100

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to make it easy to get started with planner. When people are
> used to (plan) as the last thing in their ~/.emacs, _then_ we show
> them all the other funky stuff, which is all optional anyway. Must
> make it clear that people happily use Planner without Gnus,
> without publishing, without plan pages, without hyperlinks, without
> remember, without detailed plans, etc...
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeMethods tries to be a
> step in the (right?) direction. What else can we do to make it easier?
>
> I'm thinking of turning off plan pages by default

Ummm ... wait a minute: Isn't the plan page the foundation of the whole
planner-thing?!  If I understand John correctly then his idea is to
start from within and to procede to the outer spheres of an individual
... from a mere idea to more concrete blocks of issues to things that
can/should be done at a given time.  Therefor one is to START with a
PLAN page to give the idea a more concrete form with words sorted within
a structured outline (therefor the wiki tool).  With other words: First
think about WHAT you want to do before you think about WHEN you want to
do it.

Taking off the plan pages would -in my eyes- be like cutting the legs
from a runner ... :-(

>From a more practical point of view in my mind: people will come to
planner.el either with or without a certain way of organizing themselves.
What are they looking for?  For "just another planner tool"?  Then, I
think, there are more "oh so brightly looking" gui-things then just
plain text within an emacs window!

But I, and this is my very personal approach to planner.el, had been
struck by exactly going for Johns idea of first thinking about WHAT I
REALY want or have to do and giving this idea some structure.  To be
able THEN to assign an issue with a Task, well that was elegant.  And,
further more, to be able to just out of nothing smash an idea, that
flashes through my mind, "into" the computer without either having to
think about how to structure it nor where to put it, just by using
remember in conjuction with planner ... well and honestly ... that is
like heaven :-)

Ok ... just my two cents in here :-)

ray