[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Making planner simpler
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:42:32 +0900

Carl Worth <address@hidden> writes:

> Changing the default date to nil would help a lot. To compensate, a
> single character mnemonic for today could also be provided, (something
> like '.'?).

Perhaps we should just have another
planner-create-undated-task-from-buffer and advise newbies to use one
or the other depending on their way of planning?

Would it be a bad idea for newbies to have undated tasks by default?
They might not check their task list that often, and out of sight, out
of mind... On the other hand, removing the date question makes it
faster for people to get tasks out of their head without worrying
about when to do things. If we come up with better advice than "Add
(plan) to the end of your .emacs" -- perhaps (planner-find-file
"TaskPool") instead? -- then this could work.

We need to decide on a reasonable default, and we need to document the
mostly-dated way of working in a newbie-friendly guide somewhere. Hmm.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for a FAQ. "Help! I have too many
tasks on my day pages! What should I do?"

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed