[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Suggestions for using Planner to manage teams?

From: amidon
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Suggestions for using Planner to manage teams? (Re: Hopefully minor enhancements to PlannerMode)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:33:20 -0800

Hi Everyone,

I'm the person that sent Sacha the two suggestions she forwarded to
the list earlier today.

{-- Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:59:57 +0900: Sacha <sacha at free.net.ph> wrote: --}
  Sacha> I have some ideas on how to do what you have in mind, but
  Sacha> might not have time until this weekend. A number of people on
  Sacha> the mailing list use planner not just for their personal
  Sacha> tasks but also for other people's data and they might be able
  Sacha> to share some workarounds with you. For example, John
  Sacha> Sullivan regularly exports task data from his planner file
  Sacha> for his boss, who doesn't use Planner. (John: I don't suppose
  Sacha> we could get him to use it? <impish grin>) Andrew J. Korty
  Sacha> has code for fine-grained access control.

I would be very interested in feedback on how others use Planner to
keep track of team activities.

tasks under the same outline headings and subheadings if they exist on
both pages involved to get around tasks get jumbled, Sacha suggested:

  Sacha> A quick workaround for your first suggestion might be a
  Sacha> custom sorting function that sorts by status and then by task
  Sacha> description, or vice versa. That'll give you some kind of
  Sacha> order while we figure out how to carry forward tasks
  Sacha> organized in an outline. (Good support for hierarchical tasks
  Sacha> will make other people happy, too.)

I don't think this will really be much better than the existing
sorting.  I would still have to manually go through and sort them out
each morning.  There is actually a side benefit to having to do so, in
that it forces me to review the tasks a bit...  :-)

That being said, I would really like to find a way to move tasks
between pages maintaining their place in a shared outline structure.

completed tasks on a plan page, Sacha suggested:

  Sacha> Ahhh, this isn't an overlay thing, because invisible text is
  Sacha> still there (although hidden).

  Sacha> This sounds like something grep can do:

  Sacha>     grep -e '^#[ABC][0-9]* \+[^XC]' *

  Sacha> You can use grep to filter the list according to team members
  Sacha> as well.

When I saw this, all I could say was "Doh!"  I needed to do a bit more
"out of the box" thinking.  Grep wasn't quite up to what I wanted, but
gawk was.  If anyone is interested, here is what I am using right now:

---  cut here ----
#!/usr/bin/awk -f

BEGIN {
  in_tasks = 0;
}

/^\#[A-C] +[_o>CD] +/ {
  if (in_tasks) {
    $0 = gensub(/\[\[([^\]]*)\]\[([^\]]*)\]\]/, "\\2", "g");
    $0 = gensub(/\([A-Za-z0-9-_./]*\)$/, "", "g");
    print;
  }
}

/^\* Tasks/ {
  in_tasks = 1;
  print;
}

/^\* / && ! /^* Tasks/ {
  in_tasks = 0;
}

  print;
}
---  cut here ----

This extracts just the tasks section, replaces the emacs-wiki links
with just the titles, and eliminate the page references at the end.  I
like it.  At least, it does the job I want.

      -- Keith