Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-rank suggestion/idea

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-rank suggestion/idea
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:45:41 -0500

Jeremy Cowgar <address@hidden> writes:

> Again, the whole idea here is to be able to think about the tasks you
> have for *the* plan you are working in, not *all* plans that exist,
> that scope is too large for most of us to handle..
>
> What do you think? Did I describe the situation in an understandable
> method?
>
> I would be interested in some discussion.

I've been working on something that would probably be one way to address this
(although I haven't worked on it in a while).

It's a scoring module to plug in as the sort function for your tasks. So, you
make a score file with rules that say things like "If this word or pattern
appears in a task, give it 10 points for each time it appears. If that word or
pattern appears in a task, subtract 8 points for each time it appears". Then
the tasks are displayed according to their score.

Since the project that a task is linked with is a word or pattern itself when
on the day page, you can effectively score some projects higher than others, by
adding 10 to "PayBills" and subtracting 5 from "LawnCare".

When you look at the project page LawnCare, the words LawnCare and PayBills
would not appear in any of the tasks. So the tasks would all be scored relative
to each other by your other rules.

I started this and put it aside; I'll get back to it. Though someone else is
free to run with the idea as well, as I'm certainly no pro :).

--
[= John Sullivan       =]
[= www.wjsullivan.net  =]