[emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki release candidate, featuring highlightin

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki release candidate, featuring highlighting improvements
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 00:13:55 -0500

One of the complaints^Wrequests that I hear most often on the #emacs
channel regarding emacs-wiki is that emphasizing text with '*'
characters causes a huge amount of garbage collection and time
consumption.

I'm attempting to fix that, and I believe I've succeeded.

I've uploaded emacs-wiki 2.69.90 (Release Candidate 2) to my website
at
http://www.mwolson.org/static/dist/emacs-wiki/emacs-wiki-2.69.91rc2.tar.gz.
It corresponds with emacs-wiki--main--1.0--patch-81 on my Arch
archive.

Please give it a try and tell me whether this helps significantly with
the slow highlighting problems, and especially if it introduces any
unwanted behavior.  The goal is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)
publishing.

Other changes include:

 - Avoid highlighting in the middle of a word or URL.
 - Underlining with the '_' character can span multiple lines.

If there are any outstanding problems with this release candidate
(i.e. bugs that force you to use an earlier version of emacs-wiki),
please let me know about them.  I want 2.70 to be as stable as
possible.

Likewise, if there is emacs-wiki behavior/breakage that is annoying to
Planner developers, please feel to send patches my way so that these
things can be fixed without need of workarounds in the future.

I've created a document about bug-reporting at
http://www.mwolson.org/projects/ReportingEmacsLispBugs.html, which
might prove helpful.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp