[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner diary / Error when trying to add to day

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner diary / Error when trying to add to day page.
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:32:00 +0800

"Paul D. Kraus" <address@hidden> writes:

> I started xemacs created a file called 'test' then I type M-x planner-mode
> I typed '<lisp>(+ 2 2)</lisp> hit enter.
> Nothing happened the text stayed exactly as printed above.
> I then did a font-lock-fontify-buffer this also did nothing.

AHA!

XEmacs doesn't have a neat equivalent of the 'display text property,
which GNU Emacs uses to do nifty tricks like replace <lisp>..</lisp>.
I've rearranged the planner-diary recommendations and noted that the
<lisp> method works only for GNU Emacs. Mike, you might want to make a
similar note in emacs-wiki somewhere.

I tried using end-glyph and make-glyph, but no luck. The glyph stayed
around even after I had backspaced into the span.

I'm stumped. Any XEmacs gurus around? Anyone who wants to gain more
familiarity with XEmacs by poking around looking for a way to visually
replace one segment of text with another? Extents are supposed to
handle this...

I'm really sorry about the inconvenience. Could you try the rewriting
approach instead?

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed