Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] File-specific notes page

From: Patricia J. Hawkins
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] File-specific notes page
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:00:44 -0400

CAW> So I've come up with an idea... something like a "scratch page" that
CAW> is linked to a specific file, but really more for notes.  It should be
CAW> able to be called from the buffer you're working on by a simple key
CAW> sequence, possibly into another window (or frame, as the rest of the
CAW> world calls it).  Then, in the notes file, typing that key sequence
CAW> again should bring you right back to where you were working.

This is very similar to what I already do.

1) Add saveplace to your .emacs file; any time you open a file, point
is at the last place you left it: (require 'saveplace)

2) I have a "notes" directory, and create a directory for any project
I'm working on.  I dump images, sometimes sections of emails, notes of
phone conversations, ideas, and scratch files into that directory.  I
keep the more formal working file elsewhere -- either in a
subdirectory of a "devel" directory, or a subdirectory of a "writing"
directory, depending on whether it's code (code-related design
documents also go in "devel") or writing.

If I'm working on a project and have something bit of cruft I need to
put someplace, I create a directory in notes. If it's a small project,
I can create a task with relevant link to my notes file (or
directory), or I might just drop a note in into a relevant planner
page, with links to the relevant files, and then create a task from
the note.

If it's a big project, it's SO easy to create its own planner
page. Just name it when you create a task, and there it goes.

3) Once a buffer is open in emacs, you can toggle back and forth
between the last two buffers used with "C-x b". If I've worked in a
third buffer since, C-x b Tab will bring up the list of open buffers;
or I can type  C-x b and then the initial letters of the buffer and
then tab -- and Emacs will complete the name as far as it can, and
then bring up a buffer of the matching open buffers; type the next
few characters, hit Tab, lather, rinse, repeat.  Your hand will
quickly learn what's unique for each buffer!

If I'm working in OpenOffice Writer, I just toggle back and forth
between the two windows -- most windowing systems have some keyboard
equivalent that lets you do that, often Alt-Tab (eg, Windows uses
this, and many other windowing systems do too).

CAW> It can be stored somewhat similar to the backup files that emacs
CAW> keeps.  In my situation, as with most sane emacs users, I have my
CAW> backup files saved to a special directory called "~/.backup".  The
CAW> same thing can probably be done with the notes files.

If you've saved a notes buffer to file once, it will be backed up
along with your other files.  (Personally, I have this C-x C-s twitch
in Emacs, and C-s twitch in any other app -- type end of important
thought/ unit/ sentence, hit C-x C-s)

CAW> Does this make sense?

Yes, it's a great idea -- so much so that it's already implemented!

Never use the File menu or the Buffers menu; learn the keyboard
commands and command completion instead -- emacs is POWERFUL used this
way.

In fact, don't use the menus for anything you often do -- while
sometimes the menus provide handy organization, you can get at the
same organization by using M-` (that's a backtick) which is bound to
tmm-menubar -- this displays the menu contents in a buffer; play with
it.

I just use the menus for things I don't use that much, or occasionally
for things that display better as a menu than in a buffer.

--
Patricia J. Hawkins
Hawkins Internet Applications