Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Xemacs / Emacs Windows XP Config Files (emacs-w

From: Paul D. Kraus
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Xemacs / Emacs Windows XP Config Files (emacs-wiki-publish)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:38:48 -0400

Patricia J. Hawkins wrote:

"PDK" == Paul D Kraus <address@hidden> writes:

PDK> By default it loads ~/.xemacs/custom.el
PDK> However if i have emacs installed it creates and uses .emacs.
PDK> Then xemacs loads up sees  the .emacs file and converts / uses it.

Don't know about xemacs, but for gnu emacs you can do:
emacs --load ~/foo/.emacs --no-init-file

You won't be able to save changes using customize if you do that,
though.

Alternately, you could write a script which:
moves .emacs from, say, dotemacs
runs emacs
moves .emacs to dotemacs.

PDK> I want to use emacs for wiki-publish but still do all my work in
PDK> xemacs... I guess i could make the leap to gnu emacs but everytime I
PDK> try indenting, font locking, are all wrong when I am writting
PDK> code. Xemacs just worked right out of the box so I have grown fond of
PDK> it.

Can you just lift the default settings from the files where they're
defined?  Or, I bet someone out there has written a gnu .emacs file
that mimics the xemacs behavior. Google.
Been hacking on gnu emacs all day. took me about 6 hours but it now works exactly as my xemacs did without all the strangness with publishing.

Paul