[emacs-wiki-discuss] Merging tasks?

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Merging tasks?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:16:52 -0400

Is there an easy way to merge tasks?  I have two tasks that are
essentially the same, but I want to merge them into a single one, but
not that I have done so.

I guess the easiest thing is to just kill one, and attach a note to both?
Hmmm, maybe a small function that does exactly this?

<thinking_mode = 'while typing'>

Ideas?  Do other people often have to do this?  I'm beginning to see
tasks as mini-projects, each of which have lots of notes attached to
them, but are categorized on the grand scale by the project page
they're associated with.  Not ever task needs it's own project page,
but sometimes it's difficult to know whether it should be, or just be
a task with a lot of notes.

Maybe a way to split off task pages using the Task ID.  Maybe the
{{Tasks:Num}} could actually be a wiki page with all the notes
associated with that task alone?  So, for any given task, you may have
the note in several places:

 - the daily page
 - the project page
 - the task page

It is a lot of data duplication, but hey, hard-drives are cheap, it's
only text, can be compressed, technically, the daily/project pages
could just have pointers to the task note itself...

It's nice to have the note in many places though.  The information
flow is quite different depending on your perspective.  From a daily
page, it's just a small piece of what I did that day.  From a project
page, it's a crucial piece to the overall puzzle of that project, but
intermingled with other related notes, but mostly in the chronological
order they occured.  From the Task page, it's a key element in
accomplishing that task.

</thinking>

Seeya,
Paul