[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Merge with planner-muse--mwolson

From: drkm
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Merge with planner-muse--mwolson
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:13:31 +0200

Michael Olson writes:

> It's supposed to print the page name (here, it's *emacs-wiki-temp*,
> which is strange ... it should prefer emacs-wiki-current-file to
> buffer-file-name).  At this point, the best thing to do is to set
> debug-on-error to t and try to get a backtrace.  If debug-on-error is
> t, it won't try to catch the error and display that unhelpful warning.

  It was the deal, if I remember well.  To not disturb the
publication by just displaying a warning, while to permit to get
a backtrace by setting 'debug-on-error'.

  Personnally, I didn't like the fact that an error would be
silently (more or less silently) ignored.  But I agree now that
it could be fine while publishing.  A good compromise could be
the following, IMHO.

    1/ Keep the ability to get a backtrace.  It's fundamental.
       And via 'debug-on-error' is the canonical way.  Fine.

    2/ Catch errors while publishing if 'debug-on-error' is nil,
       and emit a warning.  It's the current behavior, I think.

    3/ If such an error has been catched (so at least one file
       hasn't been published, right?), open a window showing at
       least the list of the files not published (and the
       associated errors), à la Compile Errors (enhancements such
       as 'next-error' could be fine, here).

  So everyone know clearly that some file was not published, in
that case.

--drkm