[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sorting tasks in planner

From: J. David Boyd
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sorting tasks in planner
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:05:20 -0400

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> What is the sort based on? I notice that it does sort by tasks A,
>> then B, then C, but the tasks themselves seem to be always sorted by
>> the entry order.
>
> I could probably wring an entire masteral thesis on task sorting. =)
> People have so many different ways of doing it! You can do anything
> you want, including shuffling them randomly.
>
>> I need to learn some lisp, so I can have them sorted alphabetically,
>> if I so desire?
>
> Nope, you don't need to learn Lisp to do fun stuff like that. Just
> tell us what you want and we'll help you figure out what to do. You
> can learn Emacs Lisp in order to experiment with it further, and
> having examples that fit you is a great way to start.
>
> Here's some code for your ~/.emacs that just sorts tasks
> alphabetically, regardless of status.
>
> (defun david/planner-sort-tasks-alphabetically ()
>  "Sort tasks alphabetically."
>  (planner-task-description (planner-current-task-info)))
> (setq planner-sort-tasks-key-function
> 'david/planner-sort-tasks-alphabetically)
>
> You can take a look at various functions like
> planner-sort-tasks-basic, planner-sort-tasks-by-date, and
> planner-sort-tasks-by-link for more complicated examples. =)
>
> We'd love to hear how you'd like Planner to support the way you work
> (or would like to work)! =)

I'd actually like them to sort by priority, and then alphabetically.  I group
things together under priorities, with leading descriptors like 'build',
'test', 'research', and I would like these 'sub-headings' to be grouped
together within a priority block.

It doesn't seem as if it will be that hard to do, after looking at the various
sort functions in planner...

Dave