[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-renumber-notes

From: Peter K . Lee
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-renumber-notes
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:40:25 -0700

"J. David Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:

> Sacha Chua <address@hidden> wrote in
>
>> address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:
>>
>>> After deleting a note in a task file, that was below a note that was
>>> created by the planner-create-note-from-menu-item, and then using
>>> planner-renumber-notes, the 'note link number' in the task is not
>>> renumbered.
>>
>> planner-renumber-notes really doesn't touch the note references,
>> because there could be so many of them scattered throughout your
>> plans. That's one of the reasons why I don't renumber my notes any
>> more (or even delete them, unless I'm sure I've not referred to them
>> yet). Can you think of a good way to work around this?
>>

> No, I have no good ideas on this, as you are right.  It would be a large
> task to search through all the files and correct the notes.  I can live
> with it, as I just won't delete any notes either, when I am using day
> pages.  I don't think it will be a problem with no day pages.
>
> Dave

Consider using Footnote-mode (minor mode) in addition to Notes.
Footnote can renumber references but only for those in a given page.
If you use Footnote inside plan pages, it can renumber them
appropriately.  I also have the following hook in my configs to create
Footnotes under its own * Footnotes section

(add-hook 'planner-mode-hook (lambda ()
                            (set (make-local-variable 'footnote-section-tag) "*
Footnotes")
                            (set (make-local-variable
'footnote-section-tag-regexp) "\\* Footnotes\\(\\[.\\]\\)?")
                            (footnote-mode)))

I know Muse publishes Footnotes appropriately, not sure about
emacs-wiki though.

-Peter