Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] using planner with gnus

From: John SJ Anderson
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] using planner with gnus
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:31:19 -0400

johnsu01 <address@hidden> writes:

> How does Gnus monopolize your emacs? Are you on a GNU/Linux machine?

  I am using GNU/Linux. The Gnus monopolization is because I have some
  remote NNTP groups as well as quite a few nnimap groups -- so checking
  for new mail takes some time. (Less than a minute, but more than a few
  seconds -- enough time to twiddle thumbs and think about what else you
  could be doing.)

> If so, I strongly suggest using programs like fetchmail and leafnode
> to handle the mail and news fetching from the servers. That way gnus
> can just get everything from localhost, and your session will only be
> tied up for a few seconds.

  Yeah, it doesn't sound like multiple Emacs instances are going to be
  worth the hassle, so it may be time to give up on my experiments with
  IMAP and migrate everything back into nnml groups.

  Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.

john.
--
"When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl!"
  - Brad Templeton of ClariNet