[emacs-wiki-discuss] RE: Note on task page but not day page

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] RE: Note on task page but not day page
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:06:12 -0400

John Sullivan address@hidden wrote on August 11, 2005 3:01 PM:

> "Raymond Zeitler" <address@hidden> writes:

>> I use Remember to create a note on both the current day page and whatever
plan
>> page I specify (the default is the current plan page.)  I usually create
the
>> source text for the note in the plan page, mark it, invoke C-u M-x
remember,
>> and then I delete that source text afterwards, since Remember creates its
own
>> copy.  The prefix argument tells Remember to work with a region instead
of the
>> entire buffer.

> I'm confused by your description. Doesn't the prefix just make remember
open a
> *Remember* buffer with the current region as the starting text? I'm not
sure
> what you mean by it using the "entire buffer". Wouldn't it be easier to
call
> remember and then enter your text in the *Remember* buffer?

Yes, C-u M-x remember does open a *Remember* buffer filled with the
contents of the current region.

When I first starting using Planner, I somehow got the idea that
calling Remember would create a note containing everything in the
current buffer.  I now know that it doesn't work that way, since I'm
using it to create this reply.

But I get queasy when I enter important text into a temporary buffer.
I'm (justifiably) concerned that I'll lose partially completed work
unless I save every two minutes.  I just tried saving now, and Emacs
offered the current plan page as a default file name.  If I weren't
careful, I might overwrite the plan page!

As well, I sometimes write in more than one note at a time, adding to
each one as the projects progress over an eight hour period.  (I use
Notes to maintain a work journal.)  Perhaps remember can support
multiple *Remember* buffers, but it's not something I feel like
testing.

So I don't see that writing directly in the Remember buffer can
accommodate my habits.

Thank you anyway for writing for clarification.  I always enjoy the
opportunity to learn things.

--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>