RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss]A suggestion, now that Muse has a file extension

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss]A suggestion, now that Muse has a file extension
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:38:09 -0000

Björn Lindström wrote:
> Now that Muse doesn't have to rely on project definitions to figure
> out if a particular file is a Muse file or not, I had an idea about
> how one could store Muse settings.
>
> The idea is, that when you open a file in muse-mode, and it doesn't
> belong to a project currently in muse-project-alist, Muse would look
> for a .el file (muse-config.el or something like that) in the same
> directory as the .muse file, then in the parent directory of that
> directory, and so on.
>
> Thus, you would only need to make an autoload for muse-mode, and add
> .muse to auto-mode-alist. The rest of the settings you could keep
> per-project, nicely version controlled together with the .muse files.
>
> It would also be nice if the directory of the .muse file was
> available as a variable in the Muse config file. That way, you
> wouldn't have to change the project definition even if you were to
> move the project directory.

I've been thinking about this also. It might well be worth taking
a look at the project file mechanism in JDE (the java development
environment for emacs). I believe that Paul has abstracted
a lot of the code base away from core JDE for this. The system
uses custom to generate the modification code; this is a lot
less trivial than it sounds as custom does provide support
for buffer local variables.

The system is pretty nice and it might save a reasonable
amoutn of code duplication. I'm reasonably sure that Paul
would be happy to accept any changes necessary to make this work
back into JDE.

Phil