Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-appt or diary question

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-appt or diary question
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:52:17 +0000

> Some preliminary code to display upcoming appointments is below.  For
> lack of a better name, planner-headsup-generate
> prompts for a number N and displays in a temp buffer all
> appointments scheduled between today and today+N.

How about calling it planner-upcoming-appts? or planner-appt-upcoming?
Or planner-appt-forthcoming? [I like that last one!]

> Here's a sample output:

>   * Upcoming Appointments

>   2005.12.14 9:10 | ''''      | # A task for doing
>   2005.12.20 16:00 | 17:00 | # another item to take care of

> I'd like to do better:
>   - with the dates in a separate "column"
>   - handling 9:00 vs 09:00
>   - handling empty end times

I hope you don't mind, but I got carried away last night fiddling with
the code you posted: just use whatever you think may be useful from
it.

I added scanning for tasks in schedules; scanning for tasks in
the cyclic diary file; sorting the entries; a slightly different
format for the appointments section; a day page section re-writing
function [implemented as an interactive "update" command], and a
display buffer thing.

> Aside from the formatting improvements, I would like to set this up so
> that it updates my current day page.  One option would be to find a
> way to plug it into planner-appt so that when the schedule is updated,
> this bit is inserted as well.  I would welcome suggestions on how to
> go about that.

I don't think there is a straightforward way of doing this at the
moment. But it would be easy to add a hook to planner-appt-update that
gets run after all the appointment updating has happened.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway