Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Error on task creation since planner patch-136

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Error on task creation since planner patch-136
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:44:31 +0000

> I did some further tests with my previous configuration: I think I only
> get the error if the created task is the first one on that page.

> Before: trunking happened whenever I saved the page and not when I
> created the task.  I don't know if the page is automatically saved when
> I create a task. There I had this advice active (mh/trunk-by-project is
> a function which only calls planner-trunk-tasks):

Oh, I understand what is happening.  You must have
planner-tasks-file-behavior set either as 'close or 'save so that the
sorting and trunking happens in write-file-functions or
write-file-hooks [depending on your Emacs].

> Now that I worked a few hours with the new configuration, I really miss
> the previous behaviour where all pages got automatically trunked when
> they were saved.  Now I have pages which aren't trunked (e.g. completed
> tasks).

I am going to have to look at this more carefully than time allows at
the moment.  You could possibly work around this by temporarily
setting planner-tasks-behaviour to nil in some around advice for
planner-create-task, something like this:

(defadvice planner-create-task (around my-planner-create-task activate)
  (with-planner-update-setup
   (let ((planner-tasks-file-behavior nil))
     ad-do-it)))

[instead of the advice I suggested before]. I haven't tested this, but
I think it ought to work: planner-create-task won't save automatically
and won't therefore trunk the tasks; planner-appt will [with any luck]
see the new appointment; and then, when planner-create-task has
finished, the saving and its attendant hook will be run.

Does this work?  It's only a work-around: I will look into the real
cause as soon as I can.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway