[emacs-wiki-discuss] linking to local files

From: Peter K . Lee
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] linking to local files
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:26:12 -0800

I'm not sure if there's already a way to do this, but I've been
running into cases where w/in the context of planner/muse project
file, I'd like to link to local files and have them properly
referenced when publishing.

The local file may be a file that is a *.muse file, but under a
different project (i.e. from my "planner" project page, linking to my
"documentation" project page).

But generic use case is that the local file is a non *.muse file that
is somehow added to the final published tree so that when I upload
(i.e. rsync) the published local tree to my web server, the local file
reference is somehow copied over.

For example, I would like to put a web site under muse, so that I can
author pages with muse and publish the site in html/xhtml/xml, etc.
Within that web site project, I will likely have links to images, css
files, maybe some tarballs referenced w/in the pages, etc. but when
the page is published, I have no idea how to have published tree
carry-over the referenced non-muse content w/o explicitly copying over
the relevant resources by hand back into the published tree.

Also, although I *like* the ability of muse-project structure to allow
grouping of project pages under whatever sub-directories I put the
pages in, unless I publish ALL of planner project files into a single
common directory, the linking between each page gets broken.

For the local file case, I suppose there are limitations since a
reference to a directory shouldn't mean that you copy over the entire
directory content into the published tree, but perhaps there are cases
in which that is exactly what you want to do.

I was poking around and wondering if we can do something with
muse-protocols to explicitly enable smarter link/publishing behavior,
but first I wanted to see if there were better ways of doing this that
others have pondered about (or have it working).

Perhaps there's something like a `muse-publish-finalize' hook that can
custom copy local file references into the target published directory?

Any ideas? thoughts?

-Peter