[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-deadline and planner day pages

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-deadline and planner day pages
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:14:44 -0500

ecocode <address@hidden> writes:

> Would it be possible to make tasks appear on every page between the
> first occurrence and the deadline ? It would help me in having track of

I can see why something like that would be helpful. Hmm...
Here's the ugly workaround with planner-diary:

%%(diary-block 5 22 2006 5 29 2006) In Spain

If we were going to do this the proper way with deadline tasks, then
we'd need to keep track of open deadline tasks in a list that gets
saved to a file every time it's changed.

Every time we open a planner file in the future, we'd check all the
deadline items, deleting the ones that are no longer in the deadline
list (ex: completed or cancelled tasks). We'd then add valid deadline
tasks that weren't present.

planner-cyclic does something similar. It can read block entries from
a diary file and create tasks, avoiding duplicates. All we need to
modify, then, is the ability to delete tasks that no longer appear in
the diary entry. In fact, that would be pretty useful for
planner-cyclic itself, wouldn't it? Maybe we can mark automatically
generated tasks with some kind of regexp to make them easier to strip
out. How can we do that while not cluttering up our task description?

Alternatively, planner-diary might work well, as the entire * Diary
section gets rewritten.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source, free software geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, public speaking