Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-cyclic syntax

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-cyclic syntax
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:30:46 +0000

> Hi,
> I actually use planner-cyclic for things like monthly meetings and stuff
> like that.
> However, as I'm using planner for project management, it would be
> cleaner to put these appointments in the planner project page
> concerned. Is this possible in some way ?

One possibility would be to generate a special diary file from tasks
in plan pages.  A cyclical/block/etc. task would have some metadata in
the task description that uses the diary date and sexp formats,
something like this:

#B _ {{diary:1/*/*}} Task for the first day of the month
#B _ {{diary:(diary-block 10 3 2006 14 3 2006)}} task block in March

When a new task looking like this is created, a new entry would be
added to the special diary file, without the metadata of course, and
any previously created day pages on matching dates would be updated.

There would have to be some housekeeping to deal with deleted
{{diary:...}} entries as well, but that would be quite feasible.

Perhaps something other than {{diary:...}} would be better;
{{rep:...}}, for repeating task?

Mind you, I have far too many tasks at the moment, repeating or
otherwise, to try this out!

--
Jim Ottaway