Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner appointments exported to icalendar even

From: Edgar Gonçalves
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner appointments exported to icalendar events
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:23:01 +0100

This morning, John Sullivan wrote:
> address@hidden (Edgar Gonçalves) writes:
>
>> The code I made today fulfills, although not wonderfully, my first
>> requirement. I'm using it specially to communicate my availability to my
>
> I think ideally we would do this as a Muse publishing style.

Well, the exporting would be great as a muse publishing style. However, what I
was trying to have (in a long-term point of view) is a full synchronization
system: from an iCalendar file to planner and back again! And I'm not seeing
Muse as the proper tool to deal with such a system... But I'm ok with Muse
being able to publish each planner data type (i.e., task, note or schedule
entry) into the appropriate VCALENDAR node. I could even like Muse to publish
the full iCalendar, if there were a separate merge tool between two
iCalendar's. But I think it would be easier to do the merge with the planner
data, instead of doing it with a couple of text files. Note that this wouldn't
be the only synch-system we (planner users) would need. I'd like to sync my
Symbian SonyEricsson's PIM with planner+bbdb+gnus, one day, for instance!
There's also Yahoo! calendar+etc., Google calendar, etc, etc... This leads me
to one question: is a synchronizing framework needed for Emacs? :)

No matter what the final approach is, I'm now pretty happy with my exporter (it
lacks notes exporting, I haven't got the need to do that, so far).

My next goal now would be to import an ical into a temp diary file, and use
calendar and my modified version of weekly-view to display the entries. From
there, I'd like to have a link/keyboard shortcut to import that (possibly
cyclic) diary entry into my planner. Do you have any suggestions to improve
this behavior?

--
Edgar Gonçalves
Software Engineering Group @ INESC-ID