emacsweblogs

[Emacsweblogs] Re: weblogger & major mode

From: David Abrahams
Subject: [Emacsweblogs] Re: weblogger & major mode
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:58:45 -0500

At Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:20:16 -0500,
Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > 0. Looks pretty nice!
>
> Thanks!
>
> > 1. entering and exiting the edit mode without making changes marks the
> >    buffer as modified and these changes seem to get put into the undo
> >    history.  I don't think we want either of those behaviors.
>
> Right, that is a bug.
>
> > 2. I'd like some universal way to get back to weblogger-mode without
> >    “M-x weblogger-toggle-edit-body RET”.  In fact, I'd also like to be
> >    able to post new articles and update existing posts without
> >    returning to weblogger.  I'm sure I can code these things up
> >    myself, but if weblogger-mode is aiming to be make blogging
> >    painless for Emacs users, it should make these kinds of services
> >    easy and/or available OOTB.
>
> I totally agree.  I'd like to get rid of the reliance on message-mode
> entirely.  Except for editing meta information (titles, tags, dates)
> there is no need for it right now.
>
> If we had an list of methods that took a buffer from a particular mode
> to some universal format and then another set that could take it from
> the universal format and communicate it to a weblogging engine, that
> would be almost ideal.
>
> Then one could simply invoke, say weblogger-post-this-buffer or
> weblogger-post-this-region and it (might) prompt you for a title and
> tags, but the rest would be seamless.

<schnipp>

> This is just a rough idea off the top of my head, but I think this can,
> as you point out, all be done without requiring a special weblogger-mode
> (which was a hack from the beginning).

Well I didn't actually go so far as to suggest getting rid of
weblogger mode, but of course you're right.  And your idea is probably
the right architecture in the long run.  But, FWIW, I would be very
happy with something quick, dirty, and more convenient on top of
weblogger-mode right now (hint, hint) ;-)

Thanks for all your work on this,

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing