emms-help

[emms-help] Adding `seek-to' to emms.el and emms-player-mplayer.el

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: [emms-help] Adding `seek-to' to emms.el and emms-player-mplayer.el
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:24:28 +0300

I've just sent in a patch titled "Added `seek-to' to emms.el and
emms-player-mplayer.el." and since it tweaks emms.el, I'll give a
short explanation.

I'd like to eventually have "audio bookmarks" functionality in Emms, so
that Emms will remember the places I pause in a certain track (and maybe
even allow be to describe that position with a textual tag). I do this
manually all the time when listening to lengthy podcasts and lectures.

In order to achive this goal I need Emms to be able to seek-to a certain
absolute position in the file. This is as opposed to the currently
implemented `seek' function which (attempts to) seek relatively.

This change does not touch the `seek' functionality at all. But adds a
new player command `seek-to'.

It currently works with Mplayer but lacks the proper hooks to update the
playing time.