emms-help

Re: [emms-help] Please remove tq from emms

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Please remove tq from emms
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 19:01:37 -0400

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hello Yoni
>>>
>>> Since `tq' has been part of Emacs for 24 years, I don't think there is
>>> any good reason to track it in Emms' repository also.  ;-)
>>>
>>> Please consider removing it.
>>
>> I don't see an issue with that. But since I don't use emms-mpd (the only
>> part of Emms which requires tq) someone else might have an issue. I'd
>> rather forward this email to the list first. Are you OK with me just
>> forwarding your email verbatim over to the emms-help mailing list?
>
> Of course ;-)

I've posted it on the list. Let's see if anyone has an issue with
removing it.

>>> Additionally you should change the maintainer in the library headers.  I
>>> think I have contacted Jorgen at least twice about this issue already,
>>> only to be told that he isn't involved with the project anymore and
>>> hasn't been for years.
>>
>> Jorgen is one of the authors and therefore copyright holders of Emms. I
>> can't remove his copyright notices from the headers as per the
>> requirements of the GPL. Does it say that he is the maintainer of Emms
>> somewhere?  Grepping for "maintain" in the Emms source doesn't seem to
>> point to Jorgen.
>
> It doesn't actually say that Jorgen is the maintainer, there's just this:
>
> ;; Author: Jorgen Schäfer <address@hidden>
>
> However I wrote a tool (elx.el) which reports the author as maintainer
> if the maintainer is not explicitly specified.  Guess I shot myself in
> the foot here.  It might still be a good idea to add:

That is (by and large) only the case for small projects were the author
is the only person working on it. But even those get abandoned and then
picked up by someone else who maintains the software.

> ;; Maintainer: You Or Who <address@hidden>

How about a compromise; one which a future maintainer won't need to
update: