engineer-devel

[Engineer-devel] no

From: Eddie Hahn
Subject: [Engineer-devel] no
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:37:40 +0200

Its not practicable, but ina way its sound.
It had dragged him downward with strange suddenness. We cant afford principles, people like us. But in the end he let himself be persuaded. He said flatly:All right, if you like to put it like that.
As he held her there, one handmechanically caressing her shoulder, his main feeling was boredom.
She had come here with something definiteto say.
He didnt want ever to work again; all he wantedwas to sink, sink, effortless, down into the mud.
But in the end, unexpectedly and through no effort of his own,Gordon did get a job.
But he hadnt the guts to face the streets asyet.
She had come here swearing toherself that she would not cry.
He pulled his gloves offand threw them into a chair. He knew that he ought to refuse,he WANTED to refuse, and yet he had not quite the courage.
He was going to start with five hundred assorted titles,he said.
In less than a week hisappearance had deteriorated strangely. The New Albionwouldnt take me back, he said shortly. The prospect of searching for another jobbored him even more than the prospect of poverty. After all, one is never quite alone; there are alwaysfriends, lovers, relatives. From timeto time Gordon made feeble efforts to escape, which always ended inthe same way. Gordon could never make out wherethe dirt came from. It was only toplease Ravelston that he had even been pretending to look for work.
Their servile, dirtylittle faces, wild with hope, made him feel sick. He must get out ofthis place, and quickly! He had known that hewould let himself be persuaded. She felt that she knew him well enoughnow to take him into her confidence.
Another ofRavelstons pet scroungers, they all said. It was a place where you COULD be happy, in a sluttish way. The shop was in the desolate stretch of road south of WaterlooBridge. Life had beaten him; but youcan still beat life by turning your face away.
I likes all my lodgers tofeel comfortable-like.
It was not long before Ravelston rose to go.