enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Possible way to remove file_zip.cc

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Possible way to remove file_zip.cc
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:24:43 +0200

Hi,

Daniel Heck wrote:
We could either patch the zipios included with Enigma (it already
contains an Enigma-specific OS X patch IIRC)...

...or, since we use only a small amount of functionality from zipios
anyway, we could simply try to move the relevant code  to ecl or file.cc
directly.  Zipios has not been updated in the last 2 years, so we will
have to fix all bugs that we happen upon ourselves anyway.

Simply fixing zipios seems like the easiest route for now, but I
wouldn't mind getting rid of this dependency altogether in the long
term.

Every OS-independent fix to zipios breaks the ability to link against a
given zipios++ package. All but Tacvek's last proposal of changing
Enigmas own config.h seem to be of this nature. As I checked meanwhile
"zipios++/zipios-config.h" is included in every *.h and *.c the fix
would not be simple and tiny.

Thus I see the following solutions:

- Integration of the used zipios functionality into ecl using Enigmas
config.h -- this means some work to do!

- Tacvek's proposal of using 'AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H' -- a clean way if
everything compiles as described.

- keep the workaround -- as long as we have no further access to zipios
I have no problems living with the workaround.

I abstain from voting for a special solution.

- Ronald